Frequently Asked Questions
When are sign-ups and how do we register?
Sign-ups will begin in March and remain open until rosters fill up or the season begins August 1st. All registration is done online.
How do I select my proper division for my child?
- League Age is the age of your child on August 1st
- Flag: Ages 5 & 6 (w/ no weight limits)
- Tiny Mite: Age 5 & 6 (35 – 75lbs) Age 7 (35-55 lbs)
- Junior Mighty Mite: Ages 7 & 8 (45 lbs – 90 lbs)
- Mighty Mite: Ages 7, 8 & 9 (45-90 lbs)
- Junior Pee Wee: Ages 8, 9 & 10 (60-105 lbs) & Age 11 (60-85 lbs)
- Pee Wee: 9, 10 & 11 (75-120 lbs) & Age 12 (75-100 lbs)
- Junior Midget: 10, 11 & 12 (90-145 lbs) & Age 13 (90-120 lbs)
- Midget: 12, 13 & 14 (105-170 lbs) & Age 15 (105-140 lbs)
How much are the 2014 fees for Football (Tackle or Flag) and Cheerleading?
- Tackle Football - $395
- Flag Football - $195
- Cheerleading - $275
Is there a Financial Aid Program? --- ALL 2014 SCHOLARSHIPS HAVE BEEN EXHAUSTED ---
- TPWFC has established a Financial Aid Program for those who may need assistance. Families with children enrolled in the California State School Lunch Program and attend a school within the Tustin Unified School District (or returning member) are eligible for the Scholarship Program.
- For the 2014 season, Tustin Pop Warner will provide a LIMITED number of aid packages on a FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE BASIS. The tackle fee with Aid is $200.00 and a two installment payment plan is available. the first installment of $100.00 is due at the time of online registration. The fee for Cheer with Aid is $150.
- No Financial Aid is available for Flag participation.
- All applications must be signed by a school official and have a school stamp; all applications will be verified by TPWFC.
- Completed applications must be returned to TPWFC PRIOR to registration. If the Financial Aid application is not turned in on time, or if it can't be verified, your son/daughter may forfeit their registration position.
- Completed form can be submitted by mail or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Approval process can take 3-5 days.
- Once approved, the league will assign a coupon code to complete the registration process.
Is it mandatory to fundraise for the league?
- Yes, $100.
- Each football and cheer participant must purchase 10 discount cards ($10 each) which are valid for local area merchants.
- The cards can be resold for $10 each which allow participants to recoup their $100.
- Funds raised will offset league costs to secure new home field locations.
- Specific program details coming soon...
Is a payment plan available?
- During the registration process, a two-payment option is available. Half of the registration fees are due upon initial registration, the other half is due July 1st, 2014.
What is included in my Tackle Football Registration Fee?
- In season equipment use
- Shoulder pads
- Knee, thigh, hip and tail pads
- Equipment to keep
- Game jersey
- Practice jersey
- Practice pants
- Physical Fee
- Photo & Trophy Package
- $100 of Opening Day Raffle Tickets (100% returning to player)
What is included in my Cheer Registration Fee?
- Practice Short and T-shirt (camp wear)
- Physical Fee
- Photo & Trophy Package
- $100 of Opening Day Raffle Tickets (100% returning to player)
What do I need to buy for my son for tackle football that is NOT provided by the league?
- Jock, Socks & Shoes. Buy shoes early, don't wait until late July!
- Special pads or protective gear such as neck pads, rib pads, body suit pads, Note: All worn protective gear must be included in game-day weigh-ins.
- Helmet eye visors are allowed but must be clear and not tinted.
- Personal helmets can be used as long as they are less than two (2) years old or have been factory safety certified within the past two (2) years if they are older than 2 years. Inside sticker should identify re-certification.
- NO skull caps (UnderArmor, Nike, etc.) allowed during practices or games.
- Practice & game day water bottle (1-Quart or ½-gallon jug type recommended).
- Football Gear Bag
How do I know if I am eligible to play Pop Warner football for Tustin?
- If you are a Tustin resident or a resident of a City that does not have a Pop Warner Association, such as Irvine, you are eligible to play for Tustin.
- If you are a resident of Unincorporated Santa Ana and have a Zip Code of 92705 (Cowan Heights, North Tustin-ONLY) you are eligible. However, if you reside in the City of Santa Ana you will need a Geographical Waiver from the Pop Warner Association where you live (see Waiver FAQ below). In general, if you can light fireworks in front of your home, you most likely need a Waiver from Santa Ana Pop Warner.
- You can go to www.popwarneroec.com to see the other cities and refer to the OEC Administrative By-Laws for Association boundary information as well as download the Waiver form.
- If you have played under a Waiver for two (2) years for Tustin, you have been ‘grandfathered' in our Association. Waivers are only good for one (1) year.
How do I obtain a Geographical Waiver?
- If a Geographical Waiver is required, applicants will not be allowed to sign-up via the online registration system.
- The applying member is responsible for obtaining a Waiver from the resident's Pop Warner releasing city, signed by that Association President.
- The applicant can obtain the Waiver from www.popwarneroec.com and also obtain the contact information for the releasing city from the OEC website links.
- Once the Waiver is signed by the releasing city the applicant can apply for Tustin Pop Warner.
- All Waiver applicants will be required to submit all paperwork and payment (in full) in order to be placed on an official roster.
- Note: Waivers are not automatic. It is up to the releasing city to authorize and sign the Waiver. Tustin has no overriding power to obtaining a Waiver.
When does practice begin & how long do they last?
- First day of practice begins on August 1st and tackle will typically practice five (5) days per week during August, then three (3) days per week in September through the end of the season. Flag typically practices four (4) days per week during August, and three (3) days per week in September through the end of the season. These days do not include Saturday game days.
- Practices typically will last 2-3 hours including water breaks. Flag practice typically will last 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- Players must have a minimum of ten (10) days of practice (20 hours), 10-hours without pads and 10-hours with pads (non-contact) to certify mid-August (exact date TBD). This is a requirement in order to play in the first season game.
- August practices will be held at various TUSD campuses.
- Beginning in September practices are typically held at Foothill High School.
When is Opening Day Ceremonies & When does the Season begin?
- Opening Day will be held (Time and Location TBD). This will be a scrimmage and not a league game.
- The first season game is (Time and Location TBD).
How long does the season last?
- Most tackle divisions will play ten (10) consecutive Saturday games in a season (Some teams may experience a bye in schedule). Flag and Challenger will typically play eight (8) games.
- JPW & up may qualify for playoffs & Championships which could extend the season into early December.
- Bowl games will be an option should the team decide to participate. These games are held either Thanksgiving Weekend or the first weekend of December.
What are the weight limit policies?
- In the shadow of the recent tragedies surrounding youth athletes who have perished on the football field and with great concern for rapid weight loss or restricted weight gain of naturally growing children, Tustin Pop Warner will take weight limits very seriously.
- Tustin Pop Warner cannot sign-up a player who is eight (8) pounds over the maximum weight limits.
- Weight will be verified at the league physical day or from the physicians signed physical form should you be unable to attend the league physical day.
- Note: No players will be officially assigned to a team until the weight has been documented.
- Physical documentation must be turned in before July 1st for all registered players. Should physical documentation not be turned in by 07/01, said player will be removed from the team roster until paperwork is submitted and approved. Space permitting, the player will be placed back on the team roster.
- Players whom are of concern due to their weight history will be monitored and checked prior to a team assignment.
- Players must be within six (6) pounds of the maximum weight limit before beginning practice on August 1st.
- Note: No player can attend practice, even to condition to drop weight, if they are six (6) pounds over the division weight limit.
- Players must be at or under the maximum weight limit by Team Certification (mid-August).
What is my league volunteer commitment?
- In 2014, your operations volunteer commitment has been taken care of in the registration fee which includes snack bar and field labor for game day field set up, field teardown, snack bar & timekeeping. At Tustin, we think you should spend time enjoying the games and your children's participation and not having to work.
What is the "Travel Fund'?
- The Travel Fund fee is a component of your Registration Fee. $10 from each tackle player and cheerleader (JMM thru Midget) will go into a separate league travel account with our financial institution. Any teams that qualify for Nationals (Pop Warner Super Bowl in Orlando) will receive up to 80% of the funds in the account at any given year. 20% will remain in the fund for continued growth.
- The current year Board will decide on a maximum $/participant at the beginning of each season that would be distributed from said Fund.
- Note: National Competition is only open to JPW thru Midget. Notwithstanding, the JMM & MM levels will still participate as by the time those players are eligible for travel to Nationals the fund will be larger.
- FYI: The cost to Travel to Florida for the Championships (Div 1) is approximately $1200 per football player & $800 per cheerleader (including airfare, required Disney team hotel accommodations & food). OEC (our conference) and the NFL also have Travel Funds that will have distributions to traveling teams/squads. It can be assumed that at least $500 of travel will be subsidized though these three funds.
What is OEC & WESCON?
- The Orange Empire Conference (‘OEC') is the conference that Tustin belongs to consisting of 27 cities primarily in Orange County.
- The Western Regional Conference (‘WESCON) is the conference that OEC belongs to and is 1 of 8 national conferences that comprise National Pop Warner.
How far will I be traveling for away games and what are the game times?
- You can expect to travel as far north as Baldwin Park & North Long Beach and as far south as San Clemente. You can refer to the OEC website for the complete list of cities.
- Game times begin as early as 8AM and as late as 7PM. normally, the Flag, JMM & MM usually will be morning games, the JPW & PW games will be late morning to early afternoon games and the JM & M games are late afternoon or evening games. Game times will vary.
- Regional Playoff Games may include travel to the Inland Empire, San Diego and/or Western Arizona.
When and how do I get the required Physical and turn in paperwork?
- Physicals will be conducted (June 14th, Location Athletic Republic Orange County); and the league will contact players regarding the team's specified time.
- All required paperwork as identified in Sign-Up FAQ needs to be submitted at Physical Day.
- If you cannot make the Physical Day you can obtain a physical form from our website and have your doctor fill out the form and authorize. You must use this official physical form.
How and when will I be notified on what team my child has been assigned to?
- Your head coach will receive the preliminary roster in late June or early July.
- You will be contacted by your head coach.
- Your first team meeting will be scheduled by your Head Coach, and you'll receive mandatory paperwork at that meeting.
What is my child's scholastic obligation?
- The official name of Pop Warner is ‘Pop Warner Little Scholars'. Scholastic responsibility is the most important component of our program.
- Your child must turn in a report card for the entire 2013/2014 school year that has an overall grade point average of 2.0.
- Scholastic Waivers are available for those participants who do not meet the scholastic eligibility standards. Participants who cheer or play under a scholastic waiver must abide by the specific criteria required by National Pop Warner.
When do I get the TPW equipment and how do make sure it fits properly?
- Fitting will take place on Equipment Day, Saturday July 12th (Location- Dick's Sporting Goods, Tustin).
Is there a Refund Policy?
Refunds will be issued in accordance with the following circumstances:
- Registration cancellations between March 29th and April 30th, 2014 will be "charged" a $50.00 cancellation fee.
- Registration cancellations between May 1st and June 30th, 2014 will be "charged" a $150.00 cancellation fee.
- Registration cancellations after July 1st, 2014 will NOT receive any refund.